Home Archived Articles
Hailstorm destroys crops

RESETTLED A1 farmers in Manyame rural district lost about 2 000 hectares of crops, while five houses were destroyed following hailstorms experienced in the area last week. A visit to Wemel Farm which consists of 145 six-hectare plots, showed that the affected crops will not recover.

The crops, which include maize, tobacco, beans and groundnuts, were reduced to shreds by the storm.

Surrounding farms like Willadale and Adamrest were not spared.

One of the farmers at Wemel Farm, Mr Barbrance Mupindu and his wife Florence said they were shocked by the event.

"We had planted four hectares of maize. The crop was now at 90 centimetres," said Mr Mupindu.

Trees and electricity pylons were uprooted, while snakes and birds were killed.

The induced storm which hit the area last Wednesday, lasted for about two hours.

Another farmer, Mr Anthony Mtetwa, who lost two hectares of tobacco and three hectares of maize said such a hailstorm was rare in the area.

"We even asked elders in this farm and they said they have never seen a hailstorm like this," he said.

"Hailstorms usually tear crop leaves and leave the plant intact such that it survives, but here there is no hope that the crops will shoot again. Tobacco is labour intense and thinking that I have lost two hectares which would have given me thousands of dollars is just heartbreaking."

The affected farmers appealed to Government for help.

"We do not even know how we can be helped in terms of re-planting.

"If it was December, we could plough again but now the rain season has moved on and there is no time to re-plant," said Mr Mtetwa.

District chairman Mr Ronald Pindura said he received information on the incident.

"I will make sure that the Member of Parliament for the constituency, Mr Michael Bimha is alerted because he is not yet aware of the situation," he said.

Agricultural extension officer Mr Sabbath Magwa said he was aware of the dire situation faced by the farmers.