Home Archived Articles
Thumbs-up for Dube

Football councillors yesterday threw their full weight behind Zifa president Cuthbert Dube, as the association’s extraordinary general meeting went on without hitches.

 

Brian Austin Chishanga, the longest-serving Zifa councillor with 15 years to his credit and representing the Midlands province, said that the majority of the councillors are fully behind their president.

“When we were going towards the elections two years ago, we were looking at someone who had the capacity to both add value to the association and at the same time bail it out of its financial problems. The president presented his election manifesto at a function that was held at a local hotel and from the presentation that he made, he managed to convince the councillors that he was the kind of man we were looking for,” Chishanga said.

 

Added the former prison officer and former Mashonaland West Zifa councillor: “If someone is fighting the person of the president, let him do so but it is not fair for that person to try and use councillors to settle personal scores. If anyone has evidence to prove that we were offered bribes, that person is free to come forward. It is not fair to use other people to settle scores.”

 

The visibly aggrieved councillor was speaking on behalf of 10 provincial chairpersons, a representative from women football and two regional secretaries.

“We met as provincial chairpersons and other stakeholders at a local hotel on Friday to discuss the vote-buying allegations. It is diabolical for someone to try and soil the president using councillors. Look at what Dube has done for football,” added Chishanga.

 

Speaking on the sidelines of the meeting, Dube said that a sense of sanity is finally prevailing among the assembly members. “The meeting went on well as members took a professional approach. A lot of issues were discussed and approved without any hassles,” Dube said.

 

The business executive, who has of late adopted a tough-talking stance, reiterated that those found guilty of engaging themselves in corrupt activities will be dealt with according to the statutes.

“The Asiagate scandal will be concluded by March and those that are going to be found guilty will be brought to book. We do not have sacred cows at Zifa,” he charged.

He said that the kit deal, which had stalled after world renowned sports equipment company Puma failed to show commitment, will go to tender.

 

“In the spirit of fairness and indigenisation, we are going to encourage locals to bid for tenders. Tender offers will be flighted in the media and local companies are encouraged to respond,” Dube said.

The meeting also adopted the association’s 2010 audited accounts while the 2011 financial statemement is being worked on.

 

The association’s 2012 budget projections were also ratified and adopted.

The Zifa board’s decision to suspend five elected members who are alleged to have engaged themselves in corrupt activities was also ratified.

 

Also given the thumbs-up was the Zifa Village after assembly members went on a tour of the facility earlier on in the day. Norman Mapeza and his Warriors came under the spotlight as the team’s performance in the failed 2012 AFCON bid was reviewed but a source revealed the coach had received a stay of execution.