|
They say beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. This saying will come true again this year when Beitbridge hosts the fourth edition of the Mr Ugly contest scheduled to take place at Pagomo Heights Leisure Centre next month.
The show, to be held on March 28, will be held for the fourth time following the success of three previous editions, which attracted more than 30 men - all vying for the Mr Ugly crown.
Show organiser Mr Lovemore Chonzi of Aerowise Entertainment said preparations are at an advanced stage, adding that this year's edition will be unique .This year's contest will be held under the theme "The Beauty of Ugliness".
He said that they were still working towards making the pageant a national event with a number of contests already lined up in other provinces to select participants who will battle it out for the national crown in Beitbridge.
Mr Chonzi said a lot of sponsors including Asante Sana and Imports and Exports Solutions had shown interest in the pageant.
"We have begun road shows so that we attract more contestants and so far we have managed to make contact with new and many those contestants who failed to make it last year, so that they get a chance to try their luck again this year.
"The pageant is bigger and unique this year. We are open to many contestants from across the Southern African region.
"At the moment we are liaising with responsible authorities over the latest developments. We will hold the event at our traditional venue - Pagomo Heights and Leisure Centre," Mr Chonzi said.
The show is being held with the assistance of the Mr Ugly Unlimited president, Dominic "Nyamasvisva" Gwatirisa.
"This year, the prize money will be bigger and we haven't closed doors yet for potential sponsors but we have done a lot of homework on that front," added Mr Chonzi.
The 2012 edition of the pageant will see contestants from as far as Bulawayo, Mbalabala, Masvingo, Kwekwe, Tshaswingo and Zaka, Kariba and maybe one or two from the country's neighbours taking part.
"We are looking at men who are very confident about their ‘ugly' looks. Basically, the competition is meant for people to have fun and celebrate who they are just like any other contest in the world.
"This time around, we want real ugly men, vana machemedza vana/inhunu yabantwana (those men who will make children cry upon seeing them)," he said. Mr Chonzi added that pageant would have four categories, which were still being finalised.
Bulawayo-based Austin Mbewe (30) was crowned the winner at last year's contest, after shrugging off competition from eight other contestants.
Chitova Chezhira from Masvingo came second while Beitbridge-based Kudakwashe Chiramba was the second runner-up.
Initially, a total of 15 men were expected to outclass each other on the ramp, but six developed cold feet at the eleventh hour.
|