|
The 2012 domestic football season officially got un-derway yesterday with the unveiling of the second edition of the NetOne Charity Shield that will be bank-rolled to the tune of US$250 000 this year.
NetOne stuck to their promise when they annou-nced an improved package at the launch in Harare yesterday with the participating teams set to receive more while expecting huge returns to be channelled towards charity.
The telecommunications giants are now in the second of the three-year contract they entered with the Premier Soccer League last year, with prospects bright of a longer relationship.
Harare giants, Dynamos and Motor Action, will battle for the trophy in the final at the National Sports Stadium on Sunday.
Speaking at the launch, NetOne managing director Reward Kangai, said the sponsors have increased their package from US$200 000 and also revealed that winners will walk away US$50 000 richer while the losers pocket half that amount.
The man-of-the-match, to be chosen by the media, will get US$500 for the individual award.
The tournament was won by Dynamos last year when they beat Motor Action in a penalty shootout following a 2-2 draw at Rufaro.
But the Harare rivals will clash in the same tournament at the National Sports Stadium for the second year running following their excellent performances in the league and the 16-team competitions the previous season.
Dynamos scored a league and the cup double to qualify for the tournament while Motor Action got the berth by finishing runners-up in the 16-team Mbada Diamonds Cup.
“This is a repeat of last year’s duel and I know the Mighty Bulls might have a score to settle whilst DeMbare has a reputation to protect,” said Kangai.
“That will make it the more interesting, so make sure you are there to enjoy the action.
“Last year we unveiled this relationship with a total sponsorship package of US$200 000. This year, as you would assume, it’s gotten bigger and better.
“NetOne is investing US$250 000 towards the successful hosting of this soccer match,” he said.
The teams were also presented with the kits to be used on the match day with Dynamos getting a traditional blue and white strip while Motor Action will use a gold and black outfit.
Kangai said NetOne was excited with the continued sponsorship of the competition and highlighted their passion for the game in previous initiatives like their involvement in the organisation of the friendly match between Brazil and the Warriors and the establishment of fan parks for the 2010 Fifa World Cup.
The bigger part of the sponsorship, however, will go towards marketing activities, food and accommodation for the players, uniforms, advertising and the hosting of the match.
He said the National Sports Stadium was the ideal venue for the match since they are anticipating a big turnout in this season-opening duel.
“We tried to find a bigger place to accommodate more fans. That was the primary reason why we chose the National Sports Stadium.
“It might be far for some but we are doing this (tournament) to help the underprivileged of the society, so sacrifices have to be made in some cases.”
Kangai said, as is the norm, proceeds from the match will go towards charity through NetOne’s Touch A Child’s Heart social responsibility programme.
Last year 10 organisations benefitted from the inaugural NetOne Charity Shield match.
“As NetOne we have always believed in investing into people, changing lives, making a positive impact to the community.
“The NetOne Charity Shield is our way of making a positive difference in our community through raising funds for the underprivileged children.
“So you can also play a part by coming to the stadium, buying tickets for your family and friends to enjoy an afternoon of football,” he said.
PSL chief executive, Kenny Ndebele, hailed NetOne for honouring their commitment and urged fans to come and support the cause for charity on Sunday.
He said the players from the two teams will visit two charity homes on Saturday.
“The Charity Shield is an important event on our calendar, not just because it is the first match of the year but because of its significance in helping the needy of the society.
“We are happy to be part of this and we are also glad that this partnership is receiving support from all stakeholders.
“The criteria for qualifying starts from the first game of the season up to the last of the year.
“It’s a long way to qualification because it also includes the 16-team tournament. “So this is not a one-game event but we are looking to close to 250 matches to get the qualifying teams,” said Ndebele.
He added that normal Fifa rules and regulations would apply with teams getting 30 minutes extra time if the match is drawn and then kicks from the spot if they cannot be separated.
Gate charges have been pegged at US$3 for the rest of the ground, US$10 for bays 15-18 while the VIP section will be strictly by invitation. Fans will get an Easycall line for every ticket purchased with US$1 worth of airtime.
|