Home Archived Articles
Rahman to stay longer

ZIFA have given Rahman Gumbo a major vote of confidence and handed the veteran gaffer an extended mandate to take charge of the Warriors’ 2013 African Cup of Nations qualifying campaign and the start of the 2014 World Cup qualifying bid.

Gumbo had initially been tasked to take charge of the Warriors on a once-off basis with the former Highlanders mentor presiding over the Nations Cup first round, first leg tie against Burundi in Bujumbura on February 29.

The Warriors, weakened by the suspension of more than 80 players over the Asiagate scam and crippled by poor travelling arrangements, fell 2-1 to the Swallows of Burundi in that match in Bujumbura.

Star striker Knowledge Musona, one of the players affected by the terrible travelling arrangements, grabbed a 58th minute goal that left the Warriors high on hopes that they will overturn the deficit when they host the East Africans at Rufaro on June 3.

But there were always questions on the future of the technical department given that Gumbo and his assistants David “Yogi’’ Mandigora and Peter Ndlovu had been appointed on a caretaker basis with a specific task to oversee the tie in Burundi.

Legendary former Zimbabwe captain Ndlovu is also the new national Under-23 coach, a position that guarantees him a place in the Warriors technical set-up.

Zifa chief executive Jonathan Mashingaidze revealed yesterday that Gumbo had been granted an extended stay and that his return to the Warriors dressing room would now go beyond just the Nations Cup first leg tie in Bujumbura .

Mashingaidze said although the Zifa board was set to meet next week to ratify the appointments that have been made to the various national teams, the association had also tasked Gumbo with taking charge of the Warriors opening 2014 World Cup qualifier against Guinea, which is also pencilled in for June.

“As it is now the status quo obtains which means Rahman Gumbo remains in charge of the Warriors.

“We don’t want to be seen to be unsettling the establishment that is there for the return leg of the Burundi tie.

“The board will meet next week to ratify that decision and the other appointments for such national teams like Futsal and the Under-17 who is to be confirmed soon,’’ Mashingaidze said.

Mashingaidze said they had also looked beyond the Nations Cup qualifying reverse fixture in extending Gumbo’s mandate with the Warriors with the Zifa chief executive also hinting that the FC Platinum coach could eventually oversee the entire World Cup campaign in which Zimbabwe will face.

“Because of the closeness of the fixtures it is only natural that the same squad and the same technical team that will take part in the Nations Cup campaign be involved with the opening assignment of the 2014 World Cup qualifiers.

“If there are any adjustments then the board will make those adjustments but there is a likelihood that the same coaches will also take charge of the Cosafa tournament once it is confirmed that it will be held in Malawi in July,’’ Mashingaidze said.

After accepting a late call to take charge of the Warriors, Gumbo later made it clear that he would be available to continue with his dance with the senior team and reckoned that with better preparations he believes his side can overcome Burundi in Harare and advance to the second and final qualifying round.

Gumbo, who expressed satisfaction with the Warriors show in Bujumbura, also felt that the knowledge he had picked of the Burundi would stand him in good stead to plot the Swallows downfall when the East Africans visit Harare.

“I have seen this Burundi team, they are a young side that is still building but they can be beaten. I have to say that I am proud of these players (who travelled to Burundi ), they came at short notice and did a good job and I think with a longer time together they can go far.

“I will recommend that whoever takes over for the game in Harare must retain the bulk of this team. Of course, I have my job at FC Platinum but if Zifa do ask me to continue for the return leg, I will do it for my country,’’ Gumbo said.

The former Warriors midfielder, who has also coached in Malawi and Botswana, appears to have got more than he bargained for with Zifa trusting him to also open the country’s World Cup qualifying account.

Mashingaidze’s announcement that Gumbo had been handed the mandate to lead Zimbabwe’s Nations Cup and World Cup bids also puts paid to any hopes that suspended senior team coach Norman Mapeza will make an immediate return to the Warriors fold.

The decision by Zifa means that even if Mapeza is to be cleared by the Justice Ebrahim Asiagate committee before June, the former Monomotapa mentor was would still remain on the sidelines.

There are also indications that Mapeza could be facing a labour disciplinary hearing from Zifa for allegedly attacking his employers in the media and for alleged insubordination. The insubordination charges stem from the fact that Mapeza allegedly ignored repeated efforts to have him operate from the Zifa headquarters like the rest of the association’s full time employees.

Mapeza has not had the best of relations with the Zifa board that had voted against his appointment as the Warriors substantive coach and chances now are that he is not likely to be recalled to continue with the World Cup campaign in mid-stream.