|
THE Zimbabwe Under-20 national men’s and women’s handball teams have started their preparations for the IHF Zone Six Challenge Trophy tournament to be held in South Africa later this month. The teams went into camp at Queen Elizabeth and Girls High School in Harare last Saturday. The men’s and women’s teams are based at Allan Wilson and Queen Elizabeth and will conduct their training sessions at QE.
The IHF Zone Six Under-20 Challenge Trophy is set for March 31 to April 7 at Sandton in Johannesburg with six countries — Botswana, Lesotho, Mozambique, Zambia, Zimbabwe and the hosts South Africa — taking part.
The Zimbabwe Handball Federation called into camp 25 players for each category and by yesterday the men’s team had been trimmed to 16 while the women’s team had 15 players.
Both teams will be trimmed down to 14 players for each side during the course of next week. Assistant coach for the men’s team, Farai Gwisai, said they are happy with the players they have in camp.
“As far as I see it, in terms of fitness, all the players are fit. We have got quite a number of players from schools and clubs and they have been playing the sport all along.
“What we were looking for as coaches is coming out.
“We are looking at teamwork and the players’ ability to adapt to the play that we want as coaches. The technical level is okay and it’s showing that technically, the standard has improved and we have got a common way of play throughout the provinces.
“We were focusing on our attacking system and now we are looking at the defence,” said Gwisai.
Head coach for the women’s team, Tawanda Mapira, said preparations were progressing well.
“Our training sessions have gone well so far. We have representation from almost all of Zimbabwe although, of course, we have one or two provinces not present.
“The welfare of the players is okay as we have almost all the equipment that we require. Since we are looking at players from the whole of Zimbabwe, we are now trying to come up with a common team with a common playing system.
“We are blending them and putting them into right positions.
“Since we are looking at endurance, we are going to do a lot of physical training,” said Mapira.
Mapira also said the training camp will give them enough time to prepare for the South African event.
“I think this will give us ample time to work on their physique. We are going to concentrate on speed because we do not have taller players in terms of height.
“Some countries like Mozambique and South Africa concentrate on height. But the team looks promising.
“It’s a youthful and energetic team. Besides they are handball players,” said Mapira.
ZHF president, Amon Madzvamuse, said they are also sending two referees — Innocent Kanosvova and Maxwell Mukwena — to South Africa where they will officiate during the Challenge Trophy tournament and also attend a referees’ course which will run concurrently with the event.
Provisional Teams
Men Under-20: Chengetai Nedziwe, Junior Nguni, Kholwani Ndou, Mqondisi Ncube, Claudius Matemba, Kudakwashe Chamboko, Tinaye Zimudzi, Tashi Qondisani, Alfred Mapeto, Devin Saunyama, Brian Harry, Tapiwanahse Muzota, Tatenda Muyaruka, Eric Zgambo, Philip Zhouwawo, Joseph Magamba.
Women Under-20: Kudzai Ignasho, Maybe Bandera, Blessing Makanda, Angeline Muguruvada, Meddy Chikwira, Princess Taerukana, Sandra Mtede, Nomsa Mushayahwaro, Fungayi Mutandagayi, Wadzanai Ziyenderana, Sarah Mugonderwa, Lesley Chikadaya, Nancy Ticharwa, Sithabile Ngandini, Pamela Juwawo.
|