Home Archived Articles
Chombo warns local authorities of open spaces

Government has threatened to strip some local authorities of their planning responsibilities if they continue disregarding a directive to stop dividing playing fields and planned public open spaces into residential stands.

Stern action will also be taken against officers who continue to flout the ban.

Local Government, Rural and Urban Development Minister Ignatius Chombo, last Wednesday warned that his Ministry was contemplating withdrawing planning authority from the unnamed councils.

Chitungwiza Municipality has featured prominently with councillors accused of subdividing soccer grounds into residential stands without Government authority.

He said Government was in the process of gazetting more farms for urban expansion.

“I am concerned with the unilateral conversion of open spaces into alternative use without the express authority of my Ministry. I reiterate that these open spaces are an important feature of urban planning,” he said.

Minister Chombo said councils should stop distorting the character and outlook of same through “implementation of the flawed infill stands philosophy”.

He said the “flawed allocations” disturbed best practices.

He said his ministry had activated surveillance teams to ensure compliance with the directive.

Minister Chombo has previously banned the conversion of open grounds and sports fields into residential stands but had not issued any measures that Government would take against the culprit councils.

On another related matter, Minister Chombo said his ministry chairs the sub-committee on image building ahead of the 2013 United Nations Tourism Conference to be held in Victoria Falls.

He said all local authorities should forthwith enforce by-laws under their charge.

He said the enforcement of majority of by-laws adopted by councils like litter, hawkers and street vending and traffic control by-laws was lethargic.